How To Write An Argumentative Essay – The Correct Format
Making a point in any type of argumentative academic paper can be difficult without knowledge of the appropriate format. Not surprisingly, understanding the format of an argumentative essay makes the process of writing the essay much easier. For many students, poor knowledge of the rules and principles of various types of academic writing is a major source of difficulties in their studies. This guide provides tips on how to write an argumentative essay and the correct format for this type of work.
Key Steps and Format
- Introduction. The aim of this section is to put forward your claim in a confident and precise way. It should be clear and to the point by stating the main idea of the whole paper. Mention the major themes that are covered in the paper to give the reader an overview of the paper. The thesis statement represents your perspective on the topic.
- In some cases, you might need a background to help you express the development of the main idea. This section is useful when the topic is novel or covers difficult concepts that might hinder comprehension of the essay. Present your primary resources and give definitions of the specific theories and terms in a concise and coherent manner. All these actions will set the paper tone.
- Evidence. For most argumentative essays for study purposes, the introduction is followed by paragraphs or sections that present the evidence for the chosen stance. This is the most important part of your argumentative research paper. Therefore pay special attention to it. You are required to present case studies, relevant supporting facts, statistical data and other information as evidence to support your argument. Approach this section in a coherent and organized manner.
- Counter balancing. Unlike the case for a persuasive essay, an argumentative research paper is incomplete without presenting the counteracting point of view. You should prove you have carried out a lot of research and can provide a balanced approach.
- Conclusions. This is the restatement of your original idea. Do not present new ideas in this section. Instead provide a summary the key issues and the connection to your stance.
Another important consideration is to use simple language to avoid difficulties in interpreting your ideas – it is a key to the success of your argumentative research paper. Of course, you may use specific language and technical terms, but only where it is necessary.
- If the paper topic has not been assigned to you, start your paper with choosing a topic. Take into consideration the type of paper you are expected to write. Let’s take the topic “India”. If your goal is to write a general overview, the topic is good, but if you are supposed to create a specific analysis choose something like this “Religion in India” or “Indian Culture”. Let’s move on with our essay writing help guide.
- Arrange your ideas. The purpose of this part of writing is put your ideas in a proper order. Plan the structure of your paper and stick to it.
- Create a thesis statement. This is one of the hardest parts of the essay writing process and students usually prefer to “order custom essay” to writing it themselves. Your thesis statement is a sentence presenting the main idea of the whole paper. It usually consists of two parts – topic statement and essay key point.
- Writing paper body. This part usually does not cause a problem, which is why essay writing help is less needed here. The writer just should explain, describe, and argue main paper ideas. Remember each idea should be presented in a single paragraph.
- Writing the conclusion and introduction. There is no doubt you will ask why these two parts are mentioned together. They should be written when the whole paper has been written. Your introduction attracts the reader’s attention and the conclusion sums up main points and provides a final point of view on the paper topic.